Monday, May 20, 2013

The Beginning

I guess we should start with the standard questions... what, why, when, how?

WHAT
I have nothing spectacular to say here. This is a blog.

"An ill-favored thing sir, but mine own"

I write about things in my life, things that I observe, and provide social commentary on Singapore and New York issues that interest me. The topics may seem fragmented, mostly because they are. It's a random collection of thoughts that follow no theme. I basically write about things that I feel like writing about.

WHY
To capture my thoughts and engage people in interesting conversations. I like bouncing things around and expanding on topics. I like getting different points of views. Life is not one-dimensional. Things are multifaceted and the myriad of different personalities all over the world brings a colorful variety of views on any given topic. It is fun discussing issues with different people and I invite you to share your views. BYOB. Bring your own brain. That's all I ask. If you have something intelligent to say, I want to hear it.

WHEN
So why did I decide to do this years after I had made the move to New York from Singapore? As someone that has grown up and spent most of my life in Singapore, it seems to me that the last 5 years have been exceptionally eventful for Singapore. She has built all kinds of new structures, from MBS to Universal Studios to hosting F1 city races. She has seduced many companies to its shores, such as Google and LucasArts. She has, in a highly controversial act, welcomed many foreigners, particularly from the infamous mainland China. For these reasons, the locals have been more vocal than ever on social media and beyond in expressing their thoughts on these government decisions. Typically Singaporeans mind their own business, to a fault, but this time the impact of these decisions are affecting their daily life. So it is also a time when people are more politically aware and active. The time is ripe. There are many things to write about.

HOW
It is simple. I write about MY position on a topic of my choosing, and you offer your own point of view. Feel free to disagree with where I stand, but please give me as much respect as I give you. If you can string together a good case, I am happy to stand corrected/ change my mind, with humility. However, don't expect me to be easily swayed or to bend my mind in every issue. Bring on the battle. I do ask also that you keep an open mind and carefully consider the issue at hand instead of just shooting off your mouth with thoughtless words. I will not approve comments that are nasty, stupid or childish.



Singapore and New York... a tale of two cities. I know them both well.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment